3.07.2008

My (Mona's) Big Fat Senegalese Wedding

Maimouna, one of my friends here, is getting married tomorrow. Senegalese weddings all tend to be the same, and so I anticipate sitting around in plastic chairs being served amazing food, drinking tea and listening to music thats been turned up just one notch too loud. Two nights ago Fatou, Maimouna and I went around to lots of houses in the neighborhood inviting people. We walkted into a given compound, greeted everyone , mentioned the wedding on saturday, and then left. This is very un-Senegalese where everyone stays to talk , but I guess the protocol is a little different when weddings are concerned? I couldnt help but think of all the American couples who waste so much time and effort picking the perfect invitations, addressing them and sending them out months in advance and how much simpler this is. As I recall, everyone is coming, inshallah, or godwilling. Tomorrow morning I will get up early, put on my Senegalese complete, or skirt and top, and spend the whole day sitting and talking with my neighbors. Six months into service this task does not seem nearly so daunting as it did when I first got here and couldnt talk to anyone and didnt know what to expect. I am beginning to figure this out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi babe, Have a good day and i'll see you in 11 days. Love always
T
XOXOXO