8.07.2008

English Camp

Every year, the Dakar English Language Center (DELC) and the US Embassy put on week long summer camps for high school students in underprivileged areas of the city. This year, I signed up. We have been given pretty much complete freedom to do what we want, activities wise, so its up to us to show these kids a good time and help them improve their english. Me and two other peace corps volunteers have been assigned to the high school in Thiaroy, which is on the outskirts of the city. We have already done the first four days and tomorrow will be our last day. It has been so much fun.

Monday we started by doing a question and answer session on America and discussing some of the cultural differences between the USA and Senegal, which I think went a little long and we definately had some glazed over eyes. We spent the afternoon doing leadership and teambuilding activities and having small group discussions. A completely mediocre start to the week, in my opinion. Then Tuesday we started off by playing a mix of frsibee, american football and soccer, all at the same time, and everyone was running around and having a good time. Things started to liven up. We taught them some sports vocabulary like "over here!" and "I'm open!" and got to watch them run around for the next half hour screaming "me! me! I'm open!", which was really fun. Then we broke up into groups and talked about gender roles in society here and had the kids make skits about gender roles. My group definately kicked butt. Their skits were sooooo funny! One of our boys put on a purse and hat and shoved two mangoes up his shirt to play a girl, and it had everyone on the floor. U can tell my group is a little agitated about the other gender because the girls portrayed the boys as unfaithful jerks and the boys portrayed the girls as superficial golddiggers. We then had a discussion on why boys lie in relationships here, to which one replied "well if you want a girlfriend, you have to lie."

Wednesday we talked about immigration in the morning (a very important topic in a country where every young boys dream is to leave) and then played jeopardy about American culture in the afternoon, which got a little rowdy. They didn't know who invented the telephone, but boy were they on top of who sang My Heart Will Go On! Celine Dion is huge here.

Today we played kickball in the morning, the rules of which weren't understood as well as we had hoped and so they basically just ran around throwing the ball at each other for a few hours. Then we talked about democracy and development. I have been very pleased with my groups contributions. Sure, there are a few who don't participate (when I called on one girl she told me she didnt speak english. Right.) But for the mostpart they are really eager to express their ideas and I have a few who love to be controversial, which I was not expecting. I love it!

I am sitting in one of the Dakar volunteer's apartments right now and soon we will bake chocolate chip cookies as a surprise for the kids tomorrow. I am kinda sad at the thought of camp being over, I have had a lot of fun with these kids, but I am already looking forward to next year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey baby,
Well is sounds like you have ahad a great time on your camp and I am glad that it went well for you. Hope you have a great last day. See you in 3 weeks my love. T XOXOXOX

KatieMc said...

hehehe your brother the stupid bastard. :-) The news here is that the fest has moved to another org and my position at ALC was eliminated. I'm job searching!

KatieMc said...

P.S. If you're bored, join me in the 100 pushups program. Check my blog for more info.