10.04.2008

Korité: Take 2

So after my second Ramadan in country was over (mind you I was in England for most of it) came my second Korité. It feels really good to have been in country long enough to start experiencing things for a second time.

This years Korité was almost exactly like last years with the exception that I knew what the heck was going on and actually had a little bit of fun this year. In case you missed last years post, here is a typical Seengalese Korité:

8:00am Wake up. Men get dressed up and go to lengthy religious ceremony at the local mosque, women begin preparing the meals. Sexist, yes, but them's the rules here in Senegal. I helped my host mom peel and cut up vegetables, pound the spices together and cut up the meat before being asked to leave the kitchen (way better than last year!!!)

2:00pm Lunch. Food is alwas amazing on holidays. My family ate lamb (which is already a special occasion as we never eat anything but fish) with a sauce made of peas and onions. It was DELICIOUS. Host mom also gave me more credit. Also, I told my host mom I was full in Pulaar, which is her native language, and she was thrilled.

8:00pm Over to Fatou's house for dinner of chicken with an onion sauce. I helped her pick out the chickens and she let me carry them home the day before. I had named them Ane and Reer, which means lunch and dinner in Wolof, and thus felt a special bond with them. Felt wrong to eat them a little, as we had been friends, but can't pass up protein.

After dinner: Dress up in your best clothes and make the rounds. You spend the entire evening walking from house to house asking people to forgive you your sins and then blessing the year to come. Its the same script every time, but having a white person say it is always fun. Especially when she is in a boubou with her hair all braided.

Made the rounds until midnight, by which point both my camera and I had both overheated and called it a night.

No comments: