5.25.2008

Girls Night

Being in Peace Corps Senegal can be really stressful and sometimes you just need a litte break, some time alone, to regroup before you can even think about continuing to live and work here. Enter girls night. Christyne, another volunteer in my region, offered to have three of us over for a nice relaxing girls night. I showed up yesterday morning and she had filled up an inflatable swimming pool in her back yard, which we filled with ice and sat in all afternoon. Then we watched chick flicks (PS I love you, Juno and Atonement), while eating chips and salse. For dinner we made burritos, and then we spent the night hanging out in the pool and talking. So much fun. None of these activities are possible without buying something from the foreign import store here, and all are things you can only do with other Americans. This morning when we got up we made pancakes with realy syrup that she had in her kitchen. Real syrup!! They were amazing. I am full of pancakes and not at all well rested because I was up too late but I am happy. I am refreshed and renewed and happy.

Good thing because tomorrow is going to be a busy day. My meeting on Friday with my girls group went well. 30 girls showed up, the rest will probably show up at the next one. We have dvided the girls up according to grade and I will meet with the older students on Mondays and the younger girls on Fridays. So I will now be at the middle school twice a week, every week. Much as we tried to explain what it is we want to do with these girls in this girls club, they are all still really confused, and quite frankly so are we as we figure out what to do. There is a female teacher who will be the chaperone and liaison for us. She is really great and motivated and she will be very helpful to me by speaking Wolof when I cant and also making things culturally relevant for them. Sometimes its hard for me to think these girls will take anything I say seriously when I have next to nothing in common with any of them. So my first "real" meeting is tomorrow after school and I will spend the morning in Thies meeting with potential work partners. One of these days I will also find time to get back to the youth library and keep working on that project. This should be a nice, busy week for me in Pout.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mandi!!!! I found you!!!!

My old email got all screwed up and I lost the one where you gave me your blog site, but I was talking about you to my mom today (we're in Hawaii for my cousin's wedding) and thought, "screw this. I should just google her" and I found this! Very exciting. A little bit stalkerish, but very exciting. So, how are you? You're in Pout? Is it beautiful? How's the music? Do you feel like you're starting to integrate into the community? How's work? What exactly is your work? Are you terribly homesick? Scanning through your posts it seems you've settled down a lot in these past eight months. I have so many questions, but first I DEMAND you post your address on here so that I can send you a package. Do it now! Just think, the sooner you do, the sooner you'll be eating delicous chocolate and comforting mac & cheese. Mmmm, mac & cheese...doesn't that sound good? Yes, it does. That's why you should POST YOUR ADDRESS! Or can I email you? No, just post it here and I'll check back. That's easier. Okay. I've got to dash. Jump in the shower, grab Anna Karenina, and head to the beach to meet my cousins and try and graciously quell any potential tensions between opposing families (one cousin met a multi-millionaire on line and recently married him, not inviting the rest of the family. Poor taste, of course, but I'd rather avoid any fights this week at my other cousin's wedding. Typical family drama, you know. Alas.) Anyways. I miss talking to you, I miss getting your cards and sending you letters, and I can't wait to pick it back up! Take care my dear. Give me your address.

Love love love,
Sarina

Anonymous said...

P.S.-

Also, what are these scholarships you've been referring to for? I mean, I understand they're for middle school girls in need of...funding? To go to school? Or what? Please explain.