2.12.2008

Killing Time Until WAIST

So this is the last week of training here in Thiès. Today we had Wolof all day and now my second round of language training is over, so I guess linguistically speaking, I am trained. Funny, it doesnt feel that way. I am very comfortable speaking basic Wolof with people in the market and whatnot, but it is definately my third language and I have so much left to learn. The rest of this week will be spent doing technical training such as learning how to write grants to apply for funds for our projects and work with AIDS.

The most important part of training for the volunteers is getting to hang out with each other and we went to Mbour, a tourist town on the coast, to hang out last weeked. 24 hours of beach bumming and a sunburn later, headed back to Thiès. Today after work we went to the local artisinal village to see what they had. Personally I wanted to see what my options were for souvenirs for my upco,ing vacation to England. BTW, if you have any requests, please make them.

In other exciting news, I have been asked to work with a local NGO after I finish training working with IT training in the region, which will give me a sense of purpose as I pursue other projects. I am very excited about the work. In still more exciting news, I received care packages from mom and the Bradfords today. Could not be happier with my goodies. The m and ms have been given to other volunteers, the godiva however is being hoarded. Care packages are ALWAYS appreicated, hint hint. Ideas for those of you who need them:

Any magazines
Flavors for drinking water
Hersheys anything
Mac and Cheese
Ramen Noodles
Spices or seasonings
Anything American and good (which is everything)

Hope that helps.

No comments: