4.21.2008

Moving On Up

After two joyfully miserable weeks, Ive recovered from this whole strep ordeal. Alhumdulillah as they say here in Senegal (praise be to God). In Dakar at the moment to do some work related stuff at the Peace Corps office here and to talk with my supervisors about my projects, but more importantly to celebrate Daniel (one of my closest neighbors and friends here) turning 23. Last night we made chili cheese burgers (which are a big deal for us pcvs and expensive to make). Erin and I made a double layer chocolate cake with a cream filling and fudge frosting. Yes, it tasted just as good as it sounds. Nothing like not being able to bake at site to make you want to do it. We made the first cake, which obviously didnt last very long, and when Kira got back she was really mad that we had made one without her so we made a second.

So Im just finishing things up here and then off to the garage to get a car home where I have work to do. I had to cancel all my meetings when I got sick and it was so disheartening. I am really looking forward to getting the ball rolling and actually having something to do besides lay in bed all day feeling sorry for myself. I am headed to the middle school to have a meeting with the girls that are eligible for the Michelle Sylvester scholarship program and am really looking forward to beginning that application process. There are 12 finalists from the school, 4 from each of three grades, and each will write an essay on what they want to do when they grow up and why. Then I will visit each of them at home and interview them and their family to see if their family supports them going to school and also to assess financial need. After the interviews I will pick the three finalists and send their information to Peace Corps in Dakar who will select the winner. I am looking forward to meeting the girls and getting to know them. I would love to start a girls club at the school, but one thing at a time. Right now, its time to go home.

In other exciting news, the mangoes have started coming and its glorious!! They are so beautiful and delicious and cheap! And my site is the heart of the Senegalese mango production. Hurrah!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A) pick the hottest girl and give the scholarship to her
2) ship me mangos
D) i miss you

sk.

KatieMc said...

It's difficult to think of mangos as CHEAP!