1.30.2008

IST

So Im back in Thies for training and its really good to see everyone. Today has actually kind of sucked in that I gave a presentation and as most of the people I work with have just started studying french, no one understood me, so I got no class participation and was really dissapointed in it. Josh made faces at me and made me laugh during the presentation, so I felt stupid. Also, walking home from work today a middle school aged boy threw a rock at me and I flipped out. I ran after him and yelled at him for a good five minutes in wolof about how dare he, I live here, I work here, Im white but I have feelings and whatnot, then I got in a taxi and cried. I was really upset. How mean is that? I dont expect that in Thies where there are loads of white people. He apologized but I was mad as hell. I suppose my language teacher would be impressed at my wolof language yelling skills?

I have a new host family here and they seem really nice. I dont see them that often as I go out after work everyday with the other volunteers and only see them for dinner before going to bed early as I have to be up at 6:30 to go back to training. We have class from 8:00am to 5:30pm and this week its all business, literally. More news as it happens.

1 comment:

KatieMc said...

Geez, I'm amazed you were able to find words in a second language when your adrenaline was pumping. Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!