10.05.2007

Sometimes I Lie

I am studying Wolof as a language, and its coming slowly but surely even though I still speak like a three year old. For todays language class, our teachers dropped us off in downtown Thiès and told us to talk to people. No joke. As if I can communicate with people. There were many unsuccesful attempts to communicate and sometimes when it didnt work I just walked away. Here are two excerpts from conversations that I had in Wolof with strangers today.

Creepy old man 1: Do you have a husband?
Me: I dont understand.
COM: Husband? You?
M: Oh! No, no, no! But I have a boyfriend who lives in England.
COM: A boyfriend? So he is not your husband?
M: (sensing trouble) Not yet, no.
COM: How would you like to be my wife?
M: No.
COM: But you need a Senegalese husband....
M: Im sorry sir, but you dont want me. I cant cook fish and rice. I dont even know how.
COM: You cant cook fish and rice?! (looks me up and down suspiciously and leaves)

Creepy Old Man 2: Do you have a husband?
Me: Yes I do. Five. Four live in England and now I have one in Senegal. I like them very much.
COM2 Exit scene

Lesson learned: Never answer men honestly when they ask about marital status.

4 comments:

KatieMc said...

HILARIOUS in a sad kind of way.

KatieMc said...

Do I need special postage to send a letter? And do I need to use the special AIRMAIL stationery? I suppose I could ask the post office but asking you is more fun.

the great kali-llama said...

no, what i love is that you tell him you can't cook and that turns him off. not the boyfriend, but the lack of rice skills.

Anonymous said...

BAHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! if i was a film maker i would make 4 movies about your life! HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA