9.23.2007

I Hate Taxi-Men

They say that in the Peace Corps there will be ups and downs, and today was a downer. On the way back from lunch at Le Pamanda, Stephen and I caught a taxi. We live in two seperate quartiers, but theyre pretty close, so split the cost of a taxi. So when we get to Mbour 3, where Stephen lives, the taximan kicks me out of the car too because he doesnt feel like driving over to Mbour 1 as well and just leaves me on the side of the road. I am so pissed off, but Stephen just hails another taxi and sends me on my way.

So we get to Mbour 1 and the guy asks for 500 CFA, which is more than I pay to go all the way downtown so I offer 300 CFA. He just keeps demanding 500 and I explain that I only have 300 since other taxi drivers have also decided to rip me off today. After a few mintues, he wont even accept my money so I just get out of the car. He then proceeds to follow me all the way to my host familys house, gets out fo the car and is just following me which is creepy as well as scary. I get home and hes yelling and peering over my fence and my host mom has to go pay him the 200 CFA to get him to go away. Im pissed as hell and about to cry and she just laughs and goes "oh Taximen" and then walks away.

For awhile I was convinced that I hate all Senegalese, but Ive since narrowed it down to those two taximen. Assholes.

Other than that, everything is good.

3 comments:

the great kali-llama said...

what a silly little bastard. I'm a little surprised that your liver sandwhich and cab ride cost the same. My ultra cool and stupid question is- what's the conversion rate?

KatieMc said...

So glad your host mum is a toughie. You rock, Mandi. Thanks for capturing your experiences via blog--hope it's cathartic!

KatieMc said...

p.s. f-ing taximen.