9.27.2007

Q&A

So in response to a few questions I have been asked:

I cant eat with my left hand because when the Senegalese who dont use toilet paper wipe, thats the hand they use. Its generally seen as the unclean hand. Lame, right?

I am 5 hours ahead of CST, so 7 hours ahead of Seattle, and one hour behind Terry in England (for half of the year at least)

Care package ideas include, but are not limited too:
Magazines, gummy candies, life saver mints, cliff bars of any type, granola bars, any American snacks really

Feel free to ask any questions via e-mail. Part of this whole experience is the cultural exchange. I would write more, but I am off to break the fast with my host family and butcher the wolof language, possibly at the same time. More on Ramadan as I figure it out.

Congratulations to Terry, Mom & Savannah, all of whom have written me letters. I live for mail here. If your name was not mentioned, my address is posted on here somewhere. Note: Some cards have arrived open, so no money. I know you wont send me any, but just so you know.

Cultural lesson for the day: When I showed up at the internet café today, there was really loud chanting coming from the direction of the mosque, which isnt unusual for ramadan, but it was louder than normal. I asked the employee and he put a fist to his nose and turned it. I thought he was calling me drunk, which is what that sign means in France, but in Senegalese he was telling me that someone died. He explained it to me and the sign is literally turning the oxygen in ones nose off. So now you know. I just thought that was really interesting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So how often does the not using toiletpaper thing happen? Ouch... would love pix of you using right hand to eat :-) Gummy treats are on the way! Love Marti