9.15.2007

Looy def Sénégal?

Looy def Sénégal is wolof for what are you doing in Senegal? And so I thought it would make good title and let me show off my wolof, which is completey unimpressive just yet. Oh well, all uphill from here right? I am in Africa right now and Im actually not sure that it has sunk in yet. Ive mostly stayed in the PC training center with the other trainees attempting to settle in. There will be no comfort anytime soon as it is hot as hell. The ice cold showers are what keep me going. And internet cafés where they play American music like Akon.

I havent gotten any mail so far except the letter i sent myself, so the rest of you have some work to do. See post below with my address. Everything is going well. Had a cultural fair today where we learned about Senegalese religion, food, dress and whatnot. It was very informative but I am overwhelmed with what I have left to learn. One thing that I have definately learned the hard way is that it is not allowed to eat with your left hand, which is pretty much the worst thing ever. I picked up my spoon with my left hand the first meal and before I had a chance to do anything, two women told me right. I am learning but I have been dropping a lot of food on the floor....

The food is awesome by the way. More on everything later, right now I am heading back to the training center for dinner. This is just to let everyone know that I am alive and well.

1 comment:

KatieMc said...

Mandinka, what a wonderful name! What is the reason it is not appropriate to eat with your left hand? Please expect a box of books soon from your friends at Arkansas Literacy Councils. At the risk of sounding patronizing, I am so proud of you and look forward to following your adventures.