11.18.2007

The Only White Person In Town

So the word on the street is that I am the only white person in Pout. Thats right, 29,999 Senegalese and me. Its fun to say but really kind of weird and scary to think of. That would definately explain the staring. I have never been stared at like this in my life. Every time I leave my house its just all eyes on me. I tell myself its because Im just really pretty that day. Every day. I havent bought a mirror for my house yet because Im afraid that if I do I will look in it and realize that is not in fact why they are staring.

So yeah, Im moved in. My ancien definately lived in a bachelor pad and there is loads of work to be done before my place is not a complete hellhole, but its slowly coming along. I have big plans. Im in Dakar at the moment. I arrived Monday and left again on Friday for a weekend away, but its already so needed!!! Ive only been at site four days and I left to come into Dakar this weekend to play on a softball league that I am now in. It was really fun and we play on this field that overlooks the Atlantic Ocean and the concession stand sells hot dogs and diet coke and m&ms (which you can hardly find anywhere here) so its a really big deal. This weekend we played two games, both against high school teams. We won the first game, which was a hollow victory, and then lsot the second, which was a blow to the self esteem. But in the meantime we ate loads of hot dogs!

Today I head back to site to culturally integrate myself. That and clean. I used an entire can of insecticide on my house before I left to so it could air out during the weekend, so I should have lots of sweeping to do, if you know what I mean. Ill let you know how it goes. I plan on actually leaving my house this week as I hid out in my room most of my first four days at site, but it is hard. It is freaking hard to leave my building and the safety of my bed. Ive promised myself to get out and explore Pout more this week, at least until I leave for Thanksgiving in Kaolack....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

k im still in the US and hot dogs/softball/m&m's sounds amazing.

glad to hear there are bright spots over there, to go with all of your insect neighbor. i appreciate the e-mail i got, keep me updated.

sk.